Tuesday, February 19, 2008

warm thoughts for winter

Sunglasses on, freshly inhaled smoke in the lungs, and it's got to be about 90 degrees. I like driving down the two lane highway, past those new developments, away from the overbearing mini-mall shopping center and off to the Italian restaurant, where the other guys were already waiting. My car loves this weather as much as I do and together we run happily down the road. The car window's been open since May, and I've got that left arm tan.
"We'll sit outside," Dave decides as we get out of the car. My sandal had a little rock in it so I flung it off my foot across the parking lot. We're high in the afternoon sun.
We were the only ones sitting outside, and the waiter brought us some waters while we laughed and made plans for the rest of our evening. He looks like the bad guy from a James Bond movie, and he's quite possibly the finest waiter I've ever encountered. It's just too bad I don't give a shit about the specials.
We ordered and lit cigarettes. Some people can't stand the smell of cigarettes. Luckily for them, they also don't like sitting in beautiful weather. How can people complain about the weather all winter long, and then when the sun comes out they go hide in their air conditioning?
"Hey you guys want to have a fire at my house later?"
Jordan always has fires at his house, and that's a good thing too. You couldn't really ask for a better place to relax and be a little social during these summer months. A bottle of wine under the July sunset, laughter and song with your best friends. It didn't take long for us to decide. Yes all around, and here comes the food.

1 comment:

Sam Haapaniemi said...

i wish it were summer time.

we could use that dang stoop again.