Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The sounds of NYC & Africa

I've been reading about this band, Vampire Weekend, for a few weeks now. These four Columbia- educated rock and rollers have been rolling in a bit of buzz (including an 8.8 from Pitchfork) but I'm not quite convinced if it's all well deserved or not. I read that they sounded like Paul Simon's Graceland and The Strokes' Is This It? in one record, so I immediately sought it out. They've definitely found something that is their own, not that I don't hear the rest of the New York City indie rock scene throughout, as well a few rhythms and melodies of Africa. It's all reminiscent of the hype the Strokes received before their debut release in 2001- the NYC rich kids with shaggy hair play simple songs with a striking uniqueness and personality (and everybody loves Paul Simon's Graceland). However, when I hear the music on this record, it begins to give me the same urge to listen to it over and over again just as I did when Is This It? came out. These guys are playing in Ann Arbor on February 12, so let me know if you're interested in going.

2 comments:

Sam Titze said...

i just want to know when and where i can see that kid play who played at that rent party. best image (and music, i guess) ever?

no. not at all.

smashleyanne said...

Nice post. I've been hearing about them too. I'm interested maybe.