Monday, May 4, 2009

Substitute Teaching: Memories

Since I started this whole substitute teaching phase, there have been many enjoyable moments. Sometimes, when I think about how ridiculous it is that I, of all people, am occasionally cultivating the future, I laugh at myself. Among the more entertaining moments as of late happened this past Friday. I was standing in as a 1st grade teacher, and after battling with the children to understand that it was cloudy outside, we did the Pledge of Allegiance. Not only did I feel like I was in charge of a little army of American soldier-zombies, but I started laughing at my army when they faded right into singing "This land is your land, this land is my land..." and you know the rest. I couldn't help but to just start cracking up. I felt badly because I think some of them thought I was laughing at them, but I was really just thinking, "This is my life."

2 comments:

Evan said...

So they still say the Pledge of Allegiance in TC? I thought that had gone away. We stopped saying it downstate when I was in 5th grade: It changed to a patriotic song in 6th, and disappeared altogether in 7th.

Teach on, Mr. Sam.

Sam Titze said...

this was the only time i've had to do it so far. we never did it in traverse city when i was there, at least not a my school. i only did it when i was downstate, before i knew what the words i was saying actually meant.