Monday, December 1, 2008


As the latest stage of my academic career is winding down, I have been reflecting on my path to success a lot.

I decided to leave the office during the time between work and class, and head to Jew class early so that I could secure my seat in the back left corner of the classroom. Fortunately, I was provided with a bit of entertainment because, when I arrived, the room was still hosting the professor and three students of the class held before mine. I was wondering why a girl had her head up the prof's ass, but when I looked at the other two students who were covered in shit, and then listened to the things they were saying, I realized what was going on, and I cannot say that I have ever witnessed such refinement in the act brown-nosing.

This has always been an issue for me. I suppose I can attempt to understand why people so shamelessly seek the favors of the individual who ultimately determines their success, but when it comes to the professors, I cannot understand why they would buy into such transparent groveling. I think it is a sign of being quite unprofessional, and I lose respect for them as a result of their love for self-reassurance. Instead, I appreciate the professor who will identify and call out the bullshit.

To cite a perfect example of a student being called out in an attempt to be an all-star, I would like to reference a class that I had with Haapaniemi a couple of years ago.

It was the first course of our core political philosophy curriculum, and we were reading the classics, such as Plato and Aristotle and all of those guys. Trying to stand out and establish himself as advanced and wholly committed to excellence, one of many dicks in the class decided to attempt to draw parallels between these classical philosophers and Machiavelli, whose theories we had not yet dissected. He pontificated for a while, and then our professor responded:

"Clearly, Miles, you have never read Machiavelli."

He left it at that and continued to call on people who offered reasonable and relevant, in addition to well-argued, points. This was a moment which confirmed my academic strategy, and I think it has paid off.

I maintain a mostly silent presence in my classes, yet I speak up only when I have something I believe to be substantial to contribute. These obnoxious people who approach classes from the kiss-ass angle end up taking away from my in-class study of course material by complicating things with external, irrelevant tidbits, and they have haunted my classes for far too long. I especially enjoy when they do poorly, because it proves that their unnecessary information has not made them any better of a student - if anything, it may have diverted their attention from course material to pulling shit together in an attempt to impress the professor.

I enjoy knowing that I am leaving this university as a successful student, yet I also enjoy the fact that many of my classmates probably think I don't know anything, because I rarely speak. The stereotypical Madison student believes that if you don't participate in class, you are not qualified to be in such courses; I have overheard people arguing this. They think they are better than everyone else at this university, and to them I say: go fuck yourselves.

I like that I have succeeded silently and modestly, and it has refined my strategic approach to many things. I know I am one to argue for things and make my opinions known, but in a different context where I am subject to the judgment of a superior authority, strategy has taken on a new importance. Comfortable in knowing that my professors have recognized my true abilities, I prefer to leave this place as an irrelevant, forgettable presence to my classmates, and a hopefully memorable individual to my friends.

4 comments:

Evan said...

who was the professor?

Sam Titze said...

louis hunt

Evan said...

it was between him, petrie, and folke. miles greengard?

also, i think you're right about not just blabbing on. the infrequent question or comment is vastly preferred to empty babblings. for the most part, i think the jmc profs (especially ptcd's) are better at maintaining their dignity than many of the others in the business.

Eva said...

I don't know nothin' bout Madison students, but I do know that if I have to hear another Theater Major Taking Their Required English Classes preface a stupid comment with "Well, I'm a theater major, so..." I AM LIABLE TO LOSE IT.